The Best Comfort TV Shows
How have I not made a list of the best comfort TV shows? You’d think as someone who works in the entertainment industry that I would’ve thrown a list together by now. Alas, better late than never for me to share my favourite shows I like turning to for either instant happiness or cosy vibes – both sometimes too.
Are you curious about what exactly a comfort show is? Before I list a couple of my favourites, here’s a good explanation shared by Today.com:
Here are my go-to favourite classic comfort shows for days I want something familiar that will make me happy:
- Gilmore Girls: Between the quickly conversations and pop culture references to the small town vibes and cast of fun characters, what’s there not to love? Over the years I’ve become accustomed to an annual binge because this show will always have such a dear place in my heart.
- Ugly Betty: One part fashionable, one part hilarious and all parts low-key relatable. Sure it didn’t age well – like most shows – but it truly takes you back.
- Charmed: Do I need to say anything about this except for it being a cult classic and that I always wanted to be a fellow Charmed One?
- Winx Club: Particularly seasons one through to three, this show makes me feel like a 10 year old again with the magical transformations and strong Y2K aesthetic.
- Gossip Girl: This truly takes me back in time when I was young and had minimal stress. The first three seasons are probably my favourite out of it all. There’s nothing better than getting lost in chaotic drama as seen on GG – even if I’ve seen it so many times.
- Nana: Such an emotional anime, but I willingly go through it all every few years because it truly is the best josei anime ever and some of the storylines are quite comforting in the sense of them being relatable even today.
- Catfish: Somebody explain to me how Catfish is 9 years old!? While it may stand out in comparison to the other titles, I find comfort in the crazy happenings that unfold in trying to find out who the person is behind the profile. I have favourite dramatic episodes I love to watch while I wait for new episodes to come out.
- Totally Spies!: Another cartoon from my childhood that brings back a flood of memories. I love watching this show and thinking back to where I was during the time I was the target market – I was most likely on the internet creating glitter graphics and listening to Disney Channel songs.
- Half and Half: I wanted to be both Mona (for her job) and Dee Dee (for her life) and I love going back to this classic show. Who else remembers watching it on SABC1?
I hope you enjoyed seeing what my classic comfort show faves are, and maybe you found a new show to enjoy too 💖